Pudding Norton


Today only the
Rooks inhabit this place of
Dirty water.

Pudding Norton lies one mile south of Fakenham. The name derives from the northern enclosure (tun) next to the dirty water.

Pudding Norton (Photo by John Fielding)

Pudding Norton has some of the best earthworks in the county - with the clearly delineated remains of a street and toft boundaries. The village stood on a gentle slope extending towards a stream flowing north to join the Wensum.

All that remains today is the tower of St Margaret's church and Pudding Norton Hall.

Pudding Norton was never large: having only 15 households paying the Lay Subsidy in  1329. However, it was not exempt from Parish Tax in 1428. The population remained low for the Lay Subsidy of 1524-5 and by 1602 the church had long been decayed. White's Directory records a population of  25 in 1845. Although small it remained stable for a number of centuries.

There are a high number of deserted villages in the area around Fakenham which may be linked to the poor quality of the soil here.






Supported by Norfolk County Council logoSupported by Norfolk Tourism


Home | About Us | Advertise on Literary Norfolk

©Cameron Self 2007-2014                                                                                                                Hosted by UK Web.Solutions Direct